WFC2 Earn Draw in St. Louis

On April 30th,  WFC2 survived the lightning storm that cancelled their match in St. Louis. Four weeks later in the make up game, it was an onslaught from St. Louis FC that the visitors survived on route to a nervy 1-1 draw. 

It was a first versus fourth matchup as the undefeated Whitecaps FC2 visited St. Louis, and it was the away side that drew first blood 22 minutes in through Brett Levis. Moments after Daniel Haber had been denied by Mark Pais in the St. Louis net, Levis collected a clearend corner and fired a left footed strike from 25 yards out past the outstretched Pais for his second of the year.

Buoyed by the early lead, WFC2 pressed hard for a second. The usually clinical Haber cut inside and wasted a glorious chance high and wide before the energetic Fatawu Safiu forced Pais to be sharp at the near post. 

With only the one goal to show for their flurry of chances in the middle part of the first half, Vancouver found themselves on the back foot for what turned out to be the remainder of the game. Spencer Richey, starting for the second consecutive game, made his first strong save in the 35th as he got down well to smother a close range shot to his right. Following halftime it was one way traffic as the home side smelled blood. Just past the hour mark, St. Louis found their well deserved equalizer. The lively Jamiel Hardware struck a shot off of Jackson Farmer before collecting his own rebound and beating a screened Richey from 18 yards out. 

It was all hands on deck from there as WFC2 sunk deep to defend waves and waves of attacks, rarely venturing past half. Chad Bond fired a free kick dangerously over the bar in the 76th before Richard Dixon’s long range shot whizzed by the crossbar in the 86th. Looking to take the reigns of the number one keeper spot, Richey had himself a strong game, stopping Jordan Roberts at the near post deep into stoppage time to preserve the point for Vancouver and insure that the undefeated streak was extended to nine straight games to start the year.

The ‘Caps return home on Sunday for a match against Real Monarchs SLC at Thunderbird Stadium.


Image: WhitecapsFC/Bob Frid